Welcoming Your New Puppy Home: How to Care for Them
You finally did it. After hoping, planning, and preparing for so long, you finally adopted a new puppy and are bringing them home soon. Not many things are more exciting than welcoming a new puppy into your home.
However, even though getting a new puppy is fun and exciting, it also comes with a lot of responsibility. You need to be fully prepared to take on the responsibility of caring not only for a dog but also for a baby, essentially.
Puppies are completely helpless and need a lot of attention and care. You’ll also need to buy supplies for your incoming puppy, such as dog bowls and chew toys.
If you’re starting to get worried about the responsibility you’ve put on yourself, don’t be! We are here today to tell you everything you need to know about welcoming your new puppy home and caring for them.
By the end of this article, you’ll feel fully prepared to become a new dog parent. Keep reading to learn how to take care of your new puppy.
Get All the Necessary Supplies
The first thing you must do before your puppy even sets a paw in your home is get all the supplies needed to take care of a puppy. Here are some of the items you’ll need to get:
- Dog bowls – make sure you have multiple dog bowls before your puppy comes home. Machine-washable dog bowls are the best option because they are easy to wash and reuse. You should have separate dog bowls for food and water, so make sure to order a couple of different ones.
- Leash and collar – the next things you’ll need to get are a leash and collar. Your puppy will have a lot of energy, so you’ll go on a few walks with them. You can’t go on a walk without a collar and leash, so get these items for your puppy before their first day home.
- Crate – your puppy needs a safe place to sleep at night, and you must go to sleep without worrying about your puppy chewing up all your furniture. A crate is an excellent way to keep your puppy and your house safe when you are not around. Invest in a high-quality crate that’s the right size for your puppy – not too big and not too small.
- Chew toys – chew toys are an excellent outlet for your new puppy’s energy. Without chew toys, they’ll find other things to chew, and you don’t want to find your couch or table legs all torn up because of your furry friend. Before bringing your puppy home, buy several different chew toys if your puppy prefers one type over another.
Make Your Home Danger-Free for Your Puppy
When people bring home a baby for the first time, they always make sure dangerous items, such as cords and electrical outlets, are out of reach.
The same logic must be applied when bringing a puppy home because they are just the dog version of babies.
In addition to electrical items that might be lying around the house, double-check for any toxic chemicals that might harm your puppy. You’ll also want to store your plants in a safe place out of your puppy’s reach; not only could your plants be damaged, but some plants are dangerous to ingest.
Before bringing your puppy home, look over everything that might be in the reach of your puppy, and transform your home into a puppy-friendly space.
Take Your Puppy to the Vet
This next step can be done once you bring your puppy home and they have a few days to adjust to their new surroundings.
It’s essential to take a new puppy to the vet to get checked for any pre-existing health issues and get all the necessary vaccines they need to socialize with other dogs.
Without certain vaccines, your dog might have the potential to carry diseases that could be dangerous to other dogs and humans, so make it a top priority to bring your new puppy to the vet before socializing with any other dogs. We want your puppy and other dogs to be both happy and healthy.
In summary, here are the three tips we provided for welcoming your new puppy home and caring for them:
- Get all the necessary supplies
- Make your home danger-free for your puppy
- Take your puppy to the vet
Following these three simple tips, you’ll find that puppy parenthood isn’t too tricky. In the end, we’re sure your sweet puppy will be worth it no matter what, and we hope this article makes it easier.
We hope you enjoyed this amazing article… What are your thoughts about Welcoming Your New Puppy Home?
Feels free to share this article!
We make it our mission to give animal lovers the most up-to-date and accurate information possible while maintaining our commitment to justice.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us if you see something that doesn’t seem quite right or you have anything to add to this post or want us to correct or remove anything.
If you are interested in advertising with us. Please get in touch with us!